A large convoy of military trucks and cars have been driven into Shenzhen, 25kms from Hong Kong, in readiness for another day of protests by the pro-democracy demonstrators at Hong Kong International Airport.

By Ian Horswill

Posted on August 13, 2019

Protesters have planned to converge in their thousands for the second day running on Hong Kong’s international airport at 1pm (local time), after their pro-democracy demonstrations yesterday caused all flights that had not completed check-in procedures to be cancelled, together with arriving flights that had not yet taken off.

Hong Kong International Airport has already cancelled 160 outbound and 150 inbound flights for today. Yesterday, 180 flights were cancelled as a result of the action by anti-government protesters, who flooded the arrivals hall and departure areas, and another 45 flights that were expected to arrive were also cancelled.

China have been preparing for another day of protests today by driving a large convoy of military vehicles and cars to Shenzhen, which is 25kms from Hong Kong, after Chinese officials called for the authorities to exercise an “iron fist” in tackling “violent crime” in Hong Kong.

A video shows roughly two dozen armoured carriers apparently driving through the southern city of Guangzhou and other troop carriers leaving eastern Fujian province.

The People’s Armed Police (PAP) are in charge of “handling riots, turmoil, seriously violent, criminal activities, terrorist attacks and other societal security incidents”, the People’s Daily said in text accompanying the video.

“Hong Kong’s radical demonstrators have repeatedly attacked police officers with extremely dangerous tools,” Yang Guang, a spokesman for the Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office, told reporters in Beijing, China.

“They have already constituted serious violent crimes and have begun to show signs of terrorism. This is a gross violation of the rule of law and social order in Hong Kong, which is endangering the lives and safety for Hong Kong citizens.

“This wantonly tramples on Hong Kong’s rule of law and social order,” he said. “Hong Kong has come to a critical juncture.”


There were confrontations in several central districts on Sunday and police used rubber bullets and tear gas in an attempt to disperse demonstrators. Video also showed police officers storming enclosed railway stations before firing tear gas inside and beating people with batons. Hong Kong Police have also admitted infiltrating the protesters by dressing up as demonstrators. More than 600 people have been arrested.

Hong Kong International Airport resumed flights at 8am Tuesday (local time), three hours before the protest is due to resume.

The two-month crisis, which was triggered by opposition to a planned extradition law, has morphed into a wider movement for democratic reform and a halt to eroding freedoms.

It is the biggest threat to Beijing’s rule of the semi-autonomous southern Chinese city since its handover from Britain in 1997 — and has drawn repeated criticism but no forceful actions yet from the central Chinese government.