NSW Police Force used the GPS tracking system on mobile phones to find the trapped motorist after she was unable to say where she was.

A woman driver was trapped in the wreckage of her overturned vehicle for more than 17 hours on the South Coast of New South Wales in Australia.

The motorist was travelling along the main Princes Highway between Moruya and Wallaga Lake, 350 km south of Sydney and 214 km from the nation’s capital Canberra, about 11pm on Wednesday when her Holden Trax SUV left the main road and went down an embankment and overturned in the creek below.

NSW Police Force said the woman did not regain consciousness until just before 4.30pm – more than 17 hours later – on Thursday.

“The trapped woman regained consciousness and was able to alert a relative; however, was unable to provide a location,” NSW Police Force said in a statement.

“Officers from South Coast Police District commenced a search operation to locate the woman, with the assistance of NSW Ambulance, Fire and Rescue NSW, Moruya State Emergency Services (SES), Narooma Volunteer Rescue Association, and the Dalmeny Rural Fire Service, and have used the mobile phone system to identify a potential location.

“Within 20 minutes, police attended the Princes Highway at Kianga and located the Holden down an embankment, overturned in Kianga Creek.”

NSW Fire and Rescue motorist trapped for 17 hours

The woman was rescued from the vehicle and treated for suspected fractures and exposure.

Stephen Leahy, Chief Executive of the Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter, said the rescue chopper was called to assist in the search at about 5pm.

“We had a crew up off the ground ready to commence the search but police said the woman had been located and a high-level medical response was required,” Leahy said.

Narooma VRA told the Narooma News the woman was freed at about 7pm.

“Narooma VRA Rescue Squad were assisted by Moruya SES crews to extricate the woman from the vehicle and she was taken to hospital by ambulance,” a VRA spokesman said.

The woman was airlifted to Canberra Hospital in a stable condition.