The typhoon caused at least 64 deaths in the Philippines and has now wreaked havoc in Hong Kong and the Chinese province of Guangdong.

More than 2.4 million people have been moved out of the area as authorities issued a red alert for the storm.

Two people have reportedly died in Guangdong province as the typhoon caused storm surge of up to 3 metres (10 feet).

Before making its way to mainland China, the typhoon also caused massive destruction to buildings in Hong Kong.

The storm has been downgraded as it heads towards Vietnam but the Tropical Cyclone Warning cautions against complacency. “There may be hidden danger. Members of the public should remain on the alert for assurance of personal safety,” it reads.

The typhoon caused dozens of deaths in the Philippines

The typhoon hit the Philippines on Saturday on local time and caused deadly landslides in the Nueva Vizcaya and Cordillera regions. In Itogon municipality, accommodation for miners was swamped in a landslide, killing at least 26 people. Eight more people are still missing in the area.

Officials fear the final death toll could be more than 100.

In one town alone, the typhoon destroyed more than 750 buildings.

The infrastructure on the island nation has been thrown into chaos, with roads blocked, electricity networks destroyed and whole crops wiped out.

Much of the farmland in the typhoon’s path has been damaged, with the agricultural province of Cagayan among the worst hit.

The city of Tuguegarao, which has a population of 140,000 people, was squarely in the typhoon’s path and its streets are now littered with the debris of destroyed buildings. The storm was buffeted by winds of up to 265 km/hour.

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte said “I share the grief of those who lost loved ones,” in a briefing in Tuguegarao City.

“Those we call in the unforeseen events, in insurance, this is an act of God. I don’t know how it can be an act of God but that is the term used by the insurance,” he said.

The typhoon also struck Hong Kong

As the storm approached Guangdong, more than 50,000 fishing vessels were called back to port.

The mega casinos of Macau also shut down for the first time and around 20,000 households lost power.

Authorities also warned people to stay out of the famous Hong Kong Observatory before surging water hit Victoria Harbour. Planes were also temporarily grounded at Hong Kong International Airport.

Some supermarkets were cleaned out by locals anticipating being cooped up in their homes for a long period.

The storm arrived at Taishan, a city in Guangdong at 5.00 pm on Sunday afternoon local time.

Hong Kong Security Minister John Lee Ka-chiu had urged locals to prepare for the worst.

“Because Mangkhut will bring winds and rains of extraordinary speeds, scope and severity, our preparation and response efforts will be greater than in the past,” Lee said.

“Each department must have a sense of crisis, make a comprehensive assessment and plan, and prepare for the worst.”