Most of Hubei province remains under lockdown, with residents unable to leave their homes without special permission. Travel restrictions of varying severity have been imposed across China, from monitored movement to total quarantine from coronavirus, COVID-19

By Ian Horswill


Posted on February 20, 2020

Two people from Iran have died in hospital after contracting the coronavirus, COVID-19, Qom’s University of Medical Sciences told Iran’s Mehr news agency, saying the two had died of a “respiratory illness”.

Health Ministry official Kianush Jahanpur said in a post on Twitter that “both patients died in ICU due to age and immune system deficiency”, al-Jazeera reported.

It is the first deaths associated with coronavirus in the Middle East. Iran made public that two people had contracted coronavirus on Wednesday (local time).

Hubei province, where the coronavirus originated in China, reported on Thursday (local time) that there had been at least another 108 deaths from the coronavirus at the end of Wednesday, bringing to at least 2,112 the number of fatalities across China.

The province’s health commission also reported 349 new confirmed cases of the virus, significantly down from the 1,693 cases the previous day.

Across China, the confirmed cases of coronavirus have now reached 74,534.

coronavirus

Most of Hubei province remains under lockdown, with residents unable to leave their homes without special permission. Travel restrictions of varying severity have been imposed across China, from monitored movement to total quarantine.

South Korea reported 31 new cases of coronavirus on Thursday, bringing the number of people infected in the country to 82, Korea’s Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said in a statement.

Of the new cases, 23 cases were traced to church services that a 61-year-old female patient who has tested positive to coronavirus, had attended in the central city of Daegu, the agency said.

On Wednesday, Shincheonji Church posted a statement on its website confirming 10 of its members were infected by the woman, who had attended services.

Also on Wednesday (local time), Hong Kong said a 70-year-old man with underlying illnesses became the territory’s second fatality. France, Japan, the Philippines and Taiwan have each had one death attributed to the virus.