After a decade in the Federal Senate, heavy-hitter Nick Xenophon has announced today that he will be quitting to run for seat of Hartley at the next South Australian election.

By Joe McDonough


Posted on October 6, 2017

After a decade in the Federal Senate, heavy-hitter Nick Xenophon has announced today that he will be quitting to run for the seat of Hartley at the next South Australian election.

In a statement, Senator Xenophon said, “Whether it’s subs or ships or steel, fighting for the River Murray, boosting apprenticeships, Solar Thermal for Port Augusta, funding for Proton Therapy and much more, I’d like to think we’ve done our bit to help our State. But since the massive power blackout last year and our record power prices, I have concluded they are symptoms of a much bigger and deeper problem.

“I’ve decided that you can’t fix South Australia’s problems in Canberra without first fixing our broken political system back home…I announce today my intention to run as the SA-BEST candidate for the seat of Hartley – my electorate, I’m a true local, I’ve lived there for decades.”

I’ve decided that you can’t fix South Australia’s problems in Canberra without first fixing our broken political system back home.

He made a point of saying that his “so-called citizenship case” going through the High Court played no part in his decision-making. Earlier this year, details emerged that Xenophon is also a British citizen.

“I will remain in the Senate fighting for the State, until the High Court determines the outcome of the so-called citizenship case affecting me and six others, to be heard next week,” he said.

“While my lawyers are confident I will succeed, whatever the outcome, once that decision is handed down I will be in a position to leave the Senate.”