After opening fire at YouTube's sprawling campus and injuring at least three employees, the female suspect was found dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

By Joe McDonough


Posted on April 4, 2018

The female shooter at YouTube headquarters has taken her own life after injuring at least three others.

This was confirmed by San Bruno Police Chief Ed Barberini, who said the suspect was found dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest.

“This is an active event and an active investigation and numerous law enforcement personnel from numerous different local agencies are still conducting a search of the business just to make sure that it’s clear,” Barberini said.

The motive behind the woman’s shooting spree is not yet clear.

Terrified employees evacuated the head office in San Bruno, California, just after midday as gunfire was heard.

While others like Youtube employee Vadim Lavrusik barricaded themselves and others inside rooms and waited out the attack.

“Active shooter at YouTube HQ,” Lavrusik wrote on Twitter.

“Heard shots and saw people running while at my desk. Now barricaded inside a room with coworkers.”

A 37-year-old man is understood to be in a critical condition, a 32-year-old woman is in a serious condition, and a 27-year-old woman is in a fair condition according to Nine News.

There was a huge police and emergency response, and the FBI and San Francisco Field Division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) said they were also responding to the scene.

The President has been briefed, and he offered his thoughts on Twitter.

Todd Sherman, a product manager at YouTube, tweeted that he was sitting in a meeting when he “heard people running because it was rumbling the floor”.

“First thought was earthquake. After exiting the room we still didn’t know what was going on but more people were running. Seemed serious and not like a drill. We headed towards the exit and then saw more people and someone said that there was a person with a gun,” he wrote.

“I looked down and saw blood drips on the floor and stairs. Peaked [sic] around for threats and then we headed downstairs and out the front. Police cruisers pull up, hopped out with rifles ready and I told them where the situation was as I headed down the street to meet up with a couple team members.”

Update

The shooter has been identified as Nasim Aghdam, a woman aged between 35 and 40.

It is understood she used a handgun, and drove from Southern California to San Bruno to carry out the attack.

As NBC reveals, Aghdam regularly posted videos on YouTube, and she grew increasingly resentful of the platform last year.

In a video uploaded in January 2017, she says YouTube “discriminated and filtered” her content, which had resulted in fewer views.

Then, in a February Facebook post, Aghdam took aim at YouTube again.

“There is not equal growth opportunity on YouTube,” she said.