Raj Nair has accepted he breached the automaker's behavioural standards, issuing an apology over undisclosed "incidents".

By Joe McDonough


Posted on February 22, 2018

Ford Motor Company’s North American president Raj Nair has departed the automaker effective immediately, and apologised, following an investigation into reports of inappropriate behaviour.

Without going into specifics, the company’s internal probe found certain behaviour by Nair was inconsistent with the company’s code of conduct.

“We made this decision after a thorough review and careful consideration,” said Ford President and CEO Jim Hackett.

“Ford is deeply committed to providing and nurturing a safe and respectful culture and we expect our leaders to fully uphold these values.”

Nair became a heavy-hitter at Ford in his three decades at the company, having held roles such as head of global product development and chief technical officer, before being handed the presidency of the North American division — responsible for operations that generate about 90% of Ford’s global profits — from June 1, 2017.

Indeed, Nair was so highly-regarded he was awarded a retention stock bonus last year. If he lasted until May 2020, he would’ve pocketed approximately $5 million worth of shares.

But he has accepted “instances” of misconduct made his executive position at the No. 2 US carmaker untenable.

“I sincerely regret that there have been instances where I have not exhibited leadership behaviours consistent with the principles that the Company and I have always espoused,” he said in Ford’s statement.

There have been instances where I have not exhibited leadership behaviours consistent with the principles that the Company and I have always espoused.

His replacement will be announced in the “near future”, according to the company.

It follows Ford’s $10 million settlement in August over an investigation into the harassment of female and African-American employees at two plants in Chicago conducted by the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

Nair is the latest in a long line of executives to leave or be pushed in recent months over allegations of inappropriate behaviour.

Just this month, both Lululemon’s CEO Laurent Potdevin and Wynn Resorts’ founder and boss Steve Wynn left their positions in the midst of sexual harassment claims.